All the “Other work-related expenses”
Are you planning on claiming “Other work- related expenses” this year?
With 30 June only 4 months away, it pays to keep informed and up to date with what the ATO is keeping a close eye on.
In the 2017/2018 financial year, the ATO will be paying close attention to what individuals are claiming as “other work-related” deductions. These deductions are for expenses other than car, travel, clothing or self-education and may include a home office, union fees, mobile phone and internet, overtime meals and tools & equipment.
These expenses are often incurred throughout the year and so it is important that you have the information that you need to get your claims correct before lodging a tax return.
You need to ensure that you demonstrate to the ATO that:
- You spent the money yourself and were not reimbursed
- The expense was directly related to earning your income
- You have a record to prove it
- The expense is not private or domestic in nature
- The expense is not an outgoing of capital or of a capital nature related to a capital asset.
The ATO website has clear guidelines for all Australians about how to comply when claiming ‘other’ deductions. For more information, click here.
Should you have any questions regarding what you can and cannot claim on your tax return, be sure to let the team at Powers know and we will be happy to assist.